How To Set Up VPN Connection On Windows 10
A VPN protects your privacy by creating a secure “tunnel” across the Internet between you and your Internet destination. This tunnel is created by first authenticating your client–a PC, tablet, or smartphone–with a VPN server. There are many ways you can set up a VPN on Windows 10
The easiest way to configure a VPN connection on your PC is by downloading a VPN app that connects you to a server in a click. However, if you want to set up a VPN connection without any apps then in Windows 10, you can get it done in just a few minutes without any technical knowledge whatsoever.
To set up a VPN on Windows 10, click the Start button in the bottom-left corner and select the “Settings” option. Then click “Network & Internet,” followed by “VPN.” The next step is to click the “Add a VPN connection”, after which it’s time to add in all the required info.
Start off by clicking the “VPN provider” drop-down list and then select the only option that’s available — Windows (built-in). In the “Connection name” field, type in a name of choice that you’ll recognize for when you’ll want to connect to the VPN.
Now it’s time to add in a “Server name or address,” which is the info you should find on your VPN provider’s website (here’s an example). If you’re having trouble locating it, just reach out to your provider for help. Once that’s sorted out, select the “Automatic” option under “VPN type” and choose one of the “Type of sign-in info” options. In most cases, this will be the default one — “User name and password.”
The next step is to add your sign-in info to the “User name” and “Password” fields and then click the “Save” button to finish the process. Congratulations, you’ve now successfully set up a VPN on Windows 10 manually.
Step-by-step instructions on how to set up a VPN on Windows 10:
- Click the Start button and select the “Settings” option.
- Click “Network & Internet.”
- Select the “VPN” option and then click “Add a VPN connection.”
- Select “Windows (built-in)” from the “VPN provider” drop-down list.
- Type a name of choice in the “Connection name” field.
- Add in a “Server name or address” — get the info from your VPN provider.
- Select the “Automatic” option under “VPN type.”
- Select one of the “Type of sign-in info” options — “User name and password” in most cases.
- Add in your “User name” and “Password.”
- Click the “Save” button to finish the process.
To connect to a VPN server you’ve set up, go to Settings > Network & Internet > VPN, select the VPN connection you want to use, and then click the “Connect” button. Alternatively, you can click the network icon in the taskbar, select a VPN connection, and click “Connect.”