Here’s How To Download And Install iOS 14 And iPadOS 14
iOS 14 reimagines the iPhone experience, delivering a major update to the Home Screen with beautifully redesigned widgets and the App Library, new ways to use apps with App Clips, and powerful updates to Messages.
On iOS 14, you’ll be able to add widgets to your home screen, watch video in picture-in-picture mode, and use a new Apple-made language translation app. On iPadOS 14, you’ll be able to handwrite into text boxes and use a redesigned search experience. And both software updates offer improvements to Maps, Messages, Safari, and Siri.
“Together with iPhone, iOS is central to how we navigate our lives and stay connected, and we are making it even more powerful and easier to use in iOS 14, with the biggest update ever to the Home Screen,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “We are thrilled to see the incredible ways developers are taking advantage of widgets and App Clips to create new experiences that we think customers are going to love.”
HOW TO INSTALL IOS 14 AND IPADOS 14
- Open up the Settings app on your device and tap “General”
- Then tap “Software Update”
- You should see a notice describing the update. (If you don’t see the notice, try again in a little while.) Tap the option to “Download and Install” and follow the prompts from there. The update may have also already downloaded to your device in the background — if that’s the case, you’ll just need to tap “Install” to get the process going.
- Note that while installing the update, you won’t be able to use your device at all. The update can take some time to install — in my experience, it can take 15 minutes or more — so for this reason, I sometimes wait until the evening so the update can install overnight.
WHAT DEVICES CAN RUN IOS 14?
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro, Pro Max
- iPhone XS, XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S, 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (second generation)
- iPhone SE (first generation)
- iPod touch (seventh generation)
WHAT DEVICES CAN RUN IPADOS 14?
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (fourth generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad (eighth generation)
- iPad (seventh generation)
- iPad (sixth generation)
- iPad (fifth generation)
- iPad mini (fifth generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air (fourth generation)
- iPad Air (third generation)
- iPad Air 2