TikTok has said that the platform removed over 500,000 videos and closed 8,000 livestreams to date since the attack on Israel by the Palestinian militant group Hamas for violating the company’s guidelines.

“Since the brutal attack on October 7, we’ve continued working diligently to remove content that violates our guidelines. To date, we’ve removed over 500,000 videos and closed 8,000 livestreams in the impacted region for violating our guidelines,” TikTok responds to the European Union (EU).

Last week, European Commissioner Thierry Breton urged TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew to “urgently step up” efforts, and spell out “within the next 24 hours” how it is complying with European law.

Buy Me A Coffee

He said that the European Commission has “indications that TikTok is being used to disseminate illegal content and disinformation in the EU”, following the terrorist attacks carried out by Hamas against Israel.

Moreover, TikTok mentioned that it had removed “violative content and accounts”.

“We immediately mobilized significant resources and personnel to help maintain the safety of our community and integrity of our platform,” the company said in a statement on Sunday.

The company also listed actions it had taken to combat misinformation and hateful content on its website.

READ
Elon Musk Launches Starlink in Indonesia