LiFi vs. WiFi | Basic Difference Between LiFi and WiFi
We know that Li-Fi is the short form of Light Fidelity and Wi-Fi is the short form of Wireless Fidelity. LiFi uses light for data transmission while WiFi uses electro-magnetic waves at radio frequencies for data transmission. Due to less interference incurred by light compare to radio frequency waves, it is used in more dense environments.
LiFi covers distance of about 10 meters while WiFi covers about 30 meters. Both provides almost same data transfer rate. Let us understand Li-Fi internet and Wi-Fi internet network architectures.
Figure-1: Li-Fi internet
• The figure-1 depicts Li-Fi internet network architecture. As shown in the figure there are two major components in Li-Fi internet viz. LED Lamp and Li-Fi Dongle.
• As shown lamp driver is connected with internet on one end and with LED lamps on the other end. Streaming content from internet are pushed to the LED lamps through Lamp driver software.
• LED lamps are placed at different locations as per requirement in the office or home premises for multiple users.
• Li-Fi dongle is used in order to use Li-Fi internet services by various users. As shown Person#1 is browsing internet in Laptop, Person#2 in tablet and Person#3 in smartphone.
• As shown LiFi dongle is composed of photodetector, amplification & processing and applications for different types of data.
• All the LED lamps can be swithed on and off using a power button switch provided.
• Li-Fi internet provides very fast data rate at 1 Gbps speed.
Figure-2: Wi-Fi internet
• The figure-2 depicts Wi-Fi internet network architecture.
• As shown in the figure there are two major components in WiFi internet viz. WiFi router and WiFi dongle or WiFi Stations.
• WiFi router is connected with ADSL modem or Cable modem. This modem is connected with network of internet service provider.
• WiFi router works on multiple bands (e.g. 2.4 or 4.9 or 5 GHz) as per requirement. It converts internet data packets into wifi compliant signals at above bands. WiFi works on IEEE 802.11 standards.
• These EM waves are received by WiFi dongles or Stations connected with IP compliant devices. Hence WiFi internet is used by various clients as shown in the figure-2.
In the following table we will list the basic difference between LiFi and WiFi technologies.
Feature Comparison: LiFi vs. WiFi
Lifi is not the replacement of wifi technology. It can be considered as incredible companion of the wifi technology. It operates between 380 nm to 780 nm optical range. LiFi is used to exchange data incredibly rapidly and securely at much lower power level compare to WiFi.
Products Based on Li-Fi Technology | Li-Fi products
There are various li-fi products such as lamps, Kits, LiFi smartphone etc. The vendors and OEMs of LiFi products are also mentioned.
OLEDCOMM is a world leader in LiFi products which includes LiFi routers, LiFi hubs, LED drivers, LED lamps and complete kit for lighting system. There are several LiFi kits developed by OLEDCOMM. The kit contains following :
• LED Lamps
• Tablet with Android
• Dongle to use with LiFi Smartphone
• Software library
• location based application for LED Lamps.
Panasonic LiFi Lamp
Panasonic has range of LiFi LED Lamps.
Model: LFS4000PA1 PANASONIC LIFI LAMP
Popular LiFi products with Vendors
Following are the popular LiFi products and their leading vendors.
Info & Reference from