Apple has released iOS 17, the latest version of its mobile operating system. The new update includes a number of new features and improvements, including personalized Lock Screens, improved Messages, new Focus Modes, Live Voicemail, and new HomeKit features.
New features in iOS 17 include:
- StandBy: A new full-screen experience with glanceable information designed to be viewed from a distance while the iPhone is on its side and charging.
- Personalized Contact Posters: A new way for users to express themselves by customizing how they appear when they call known contacts, including in third-party calling apps.
- Live Voicemail: Provides a real-time transcription as someone leaves a voicemail, and gives users the opportunity to pick up while the caller is leaving their message.
- Reactions in FaceTime: Users can now express themselves with Reactions such as hearts, balloons, fireworks, and laser beams that can be activated by simple gestures, and are also available with supported third-party video conferencing apps.
- FaceTime on Apple TV: Users can now leave a video or audio message on FaceTime to capture exactly what they want to say when someone they call is not available. They can also use Continuity Camera to start a FaceTime call on their iPhone and hand it off to Apple TV, or initiate the FaceTime call directly from their Apple TV.
- More Ways to Stay Connected with Messages: Messages add new features that make it easier to use and even more fun when connecting with the people who matter the most. Search gets more powerful and precise with search filters; audio messages get automatically transcribed so users can read them at the moment or listen later; replying inline becomes as simple as swiping on a text bubble; and the new expandable menu provides easy access to all iMessage apps, giving Messages a sleeker look.
- Easier Sharing with AirDrop: AirDrop makes it easier than ever to share with friends, family, and colleagues. NameDrop, a new AirDrop feature, lets users exchange contact information, including their Contact Poster, simply by bringing their iPhone devices together. Later this year, AirDrop will add the ability to continue transfers over the internet when a user steps out of the AirDrop range.
- Comprehensive Updates to Autocorrect and Dictation: Autocorrect receives a comprehensive update with a new transformer language model, improving the experience and accuracy of users every time they type. Sentence-level autocorrections can fix more types of grammatical mistakes, and the refreshed design better supports typing by temporarily underlining corrected words and allowing users to revert back with just a tap. Inline predictive text helps quickly finish sentences, while Dictation’s new speech recognition model brings improved accuracy.
With iPadOS 17, perhaps the most noticeable change is that you’ll be able to personalize your lock screen in a way that’s similar to what Apple added to iPhones with iOS 16.